Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Challenge

A group of good friends I have invited me to join them in a year-long "Challenge". All of these friends are spread across the country from Texas to New York but we thought this would be a good way to stay connected and motivate each other. The Challenge runs from Feb. 1 to Dec. 31. So this is what it looks like:

Spiritual
1. Memorize 45 Bible verses (grouped or individual)
2. Research 5 theological points of a religion or Christian denomination

Social
1. Share 2 meals per month with someone other than your significant other. One meal must be homemade.
2. Write one letter per month (birthday and holidays cards are not included)

Intellectual
1. Read five complete books
2. Learn and become proficient in two new skills of your choice.

Physical
1. Exercise at least 3x per week (you are permitted to miss 2 wks/6 sessions)
2. Compete in a physical competition of some sort

Personal
1.
2.


I am allowed to make up my own personal goals which I'm still thinking through. I think this is quite an ambitiuos list! I love reading but usually never get to the end of one. I get too distracted by the next book. I am going to try to join a local gym here this week. Jonerik goes so we can keep each other accountable. I hate paying money to exercise but it has just been too cold to go outside to run lately. Ideally I'll find a plan that is monthly so I can run outside more once it warms up. There are some really beautiful places to run here in Philly.

I don't like to commit to something if I don't think I can follow through on it and this Challenge is definetly going to stretch me, but I think it will be a really healthy thing. When you are working to accomplish a giant task (like running the Broad St. Run) there is a lot of momentum because it builds as the event draws closer. This will be a test in a different way because it deals with daily living. It takes endurance beyond a few months. It is encouraging a new lifestyle.

And I like it.


No comments: