Monday, September 28, 2009

Surprise


So I had just posted about how loved and supported I feel and not long after I was surprised by a lunch/party for Jonerik and I after church on Sunday in Philly! How sweet. The funny thing was that this was supposed to be a surprise (at least for me) and on Sat. night we were at a families home talking when their phone rang. They let the phone ring and then when the answering machine came on, we heard that it was one of the pastors. All the sudden Jonerik started gettin all crazy-like and he was frantically trying to answer the phone or turn it off. We were just laughing and I didn't think anything more of it. Apparently he didn't want Pastor Bill to say anything about it while we were sitting there. Funny.


Anyway, they did surprise me, I had no idea. They announced it on Sunday morning with the other announcements and I blushed a deep shade of red and smiled as everyone tried to find me and watch my reaction =) They had a great lunch ready, a beautiful and delicious cake, a poster-frame of an engagement picture that everyone lined up to sign, and advice cards. I felt so blessed by a group of people who seem to be whole heartedly ready to adopt me.


A couple of years ago I felt that I had lost my church family. The reason for that is not blog-worthy now. I still have a couple of faint connections to them, but I said good-bye in my heart knowing that our relationship will never be the same. A church family is dysfunctional just like any other family. They are filled with messy people in messy situations and that what is so beautiul about it...because I am one of those messy people. When I realized that the church is not really intented for perfect people, and is meant for real people to find community and love, I gained a whole new perspective on what it means to have a 'church family'.


All this to say, as I reflect back on Sunday, I feel incredibly blessed to be joining another extension of the family of God. He has been healing my heart over the past couple of years and walking me through a restoration of love for the church. Thank you to all my new Cornerstone friends and family!


Just a quick note:
Included in the top 5 things not to say to a woman at her bridal shower/lunch/party:

1. Quietly asking her if she is pregnant while rubbing your belly and giving her that questioning look....

2. "Cherish every moment together because your husband could die at any moment! He could die tomorrow!" (which is true, but probably not the best way to deliver your advice)

No comments: