Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"You Just Lost One"




Recently, Jonerik shared this video with me and I have been exploring their website some. This poem reached me and I felt the need to pass it on. There are some things that are intimate moments that you have with Jesus and you know that you will be the only one to directly benefit from the words spoken. But there are other times (as is with this case) where it needs to be shared.

After my last two posts it's hard to find something that seems 'as important'. Getting engaged, running 10 miles, and having a niece are hard to follow! But if there is anything that I could write about that trumps all of that is the amazing love I have discovered in Jesus Christ. Romans clearly reminded me tonight that I am completely undeserving of God's love.

This may come as a surprise, considering I'm not exactly what you might call the 'rebellious type', but my heart is not clean because I have worked hard to get it that way.
It is not because I was a pastor's kid and I grew up memorizing Bible verses.
It is not because I didn't party in high school and I chose to love the church.
It is not because I went to a Bible college.
It is not because I work as a social working helping single homeless mothers.
It is not because I'm engaged to a pastor.

There was a time (most of my life) when secretly I would have boasted about these things. It would have been in a completely humble and "God-honoring" way of course. *note the sarcasm* I am completely embarrased by these statements now. I am grateful for God's movement in each of those phases of life, but I see more clearly now that those things didn't make my heart clean. Most days I feel that my heart is unworthy of this and I am afraid to utter the fear that God has made a big mistake.

"For no one can be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are" Rom 2:8

It is only by God's grace that I can claim to have any kind of relationship with the Creator of this world.

"Yet God with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins...This sacrifice showed that he was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in past times, for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he declares sinners to be right in his sight when they believe in Jesus.

Can we boast then that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No because our aquital is not based on obeying the law. It is based on faith." -Rom 2:24-27

"My dead heart now is beating
My deepest stains now clean
Your breath fills up my lungs
Now I'm free. Now I'm free!

Sin has lost its power
Death has lost its sting
From the grave you've risen
victoriousy!" Charlie Hall

No comments: